Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sweet Baby Girls

Haiti Day 4

Went to Prayer Mountain.  Always a great way to start out the day.

Team photo on our way back down from the mountain.
Coolest tree ever!


Went to the orphanage to start painting the wall.  We didn't get it finished but planned to go back to complete it in a couple days.   The paint wasn't the quality that we were used to, so it was a little challenging, but we got the job done.

Liz with her blank canvas.
She designed an awesome mural!

Happy painters at work!

When we were finished.
We weren't able to add the green leaves on the tree
because of the paint issues.  However....

Another team came a few weeks after us and
brought the right paint to finish the tree!
It looks awesome!
And I love the little kids' feet at the bottom!

So glad we could be a part of making the orphanage a little more cheery!  


After lunch we gathered some medical supplies and FMSC meals and started walking around the village.  When we came to a house, we would stop and a couple of us would go in with FanFan to translate, to see if anyone needed medical care or food.  Heather, our RN on the team, was able to hand out some medicine and give medical advice to several people, and we handed out food to almost everybody.  

While just a couple of us were going into each house, the rest of us hung out in the street (dirt road) with the kids that started following us along the way.  It was so much fun!  Just spending time with the kids and getting to know them.  Teaching them some English and them teaching us some Creole.  And they LOVED carrying our backpacks for us. 

One house we stopped at had a baby girl about Paisley's size.  And her mom let me hold her.  Oh. My. Word. What a sweetie!  The mom said she was about a year old, but I'm sure she weighed less than Paisley (who was six months old at the time).  Everyone is smaller there.  

Giving them FMSC meals.
Nevermind the kid with no pants on.
And isn't the baby girl's half-done hair awesome!  :)

When we finished giving them the supplies, FanFan started praying for them.  I stood off to the side with that sweet baby girl.  And I prayed for her.  And I held her tight.  And I cried.  Not because I missed my baby girl.  She reminded me so much of her.  I cried because I started thinking about how different their lives are. About all the things and opportunities my girl has.  And how this baby girl has almost nothing.  And how their lives will continue to be different as they grow up.  I was so overcome by that thought.  

Praying for the sweet baby girl.

Later that night I was thinking about that little girl.  And my little girl.  And how God loves them the SAME.  Not only does He love them the same, but he SEES them the same.  It's not like He's thinking, "Oh, they are so different, but my love for them is the same."  He actually sees them in the same way.  He doesn't see their surroundings or their possessions or how many opportunities they have or how different their earthly lives are.  He just sees their hearts.  He just sees two little girls that He created and knows intimately.  He loves them both deeply.  That love sent Him to the cross.  For both of them.  Wow.  

This was my prayer in my journal that night:

God, that is one thing I love about You so much: that you see us all the same.  As precious children that You love so much.  Please teach me how to see people like that.  

There's more to Haiti Day 4.  Namely, a little boy named Jeffrey and a man named Mr. Beverage.  But I'll save them for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment