Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Thinking on 30 for 30

I've gotta admit, I've been torn.  Torn with this whole "30 for 30" thing.

It's not whether I want to do it or not.  I'm so excited about that!  I'm torn with how much to share about it.  On this blog, on Facebook, in conversation, etc.  The past couple weeks I've been wrestling with thoughts like, "Am I tooting my own horn?  Am I being like the hypocrites that Jesus describes in Matthew 6..."

Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

(I actually had this passage in mind BEFORE my good friend Tyler preached on it last Sunday. Funny how things line up like that.)

The last thing I want to do is draw attention to myself with this thing.  However, I feel like I need to share what I'm doing. That's what inspires people.  After all, I got the idea from reading about another lady who did it.  If she hadn't ever blogged about it, I would never have gotten inspired to do it.  You can read about her birthday here.  Her blog also inspired something called The Birthday Project.  You should go LIKE that on Facebook.  Super awesome.  

So after some serious thought and prayer, I have decided to share only part of my 30 acts of kindness.  Some of the stuff will be seen, and some of it will be unseen.  You'll have to trust that I'm actually doing 30 (I promise I will!), but I feel good about that.  I love that some of my acts of kindness will be a secret. That kinda makes it more fun!  

And now I'm just excited.  Can't wait for Saturday!!!

1 comment:

  1. Kendra, I am blessed by you and what you are doing. I admire your concern for the passage in Matthew 6 and checking your motives. You are clearly doing this for others, not for yourself to look good to others. God is going to use you in ways you don't even know about. Have fun with it, and happy birthday early. Kim Williams

    ReplyDelete