Monday, December 30, 2013

Turning Four

Jack turned four today.  As usual, God used an everyday parenting moment to teach me something.

Last night when I was putting Jack to bed, I took a super cute video of him and his thoughts on turning four (apparently four-year-olds can use real hammers.  Did anyone else know that?).  He finished by saying, "Bye three!  See you next year!"  After I stopped recording I explained how he actually wouldn't see three ever again.

And that sweet boy started to cry.  I was so confused.  Why is the kid crying when tomorrow is his birthday?  He's so excited for his birthday!  What is going on?  And then through the tears I heard, "I wanna keep being thrrrreeeeeeee!!!"

As a parent, I had a brief moment of panic.  What do I say to that?

What came out of my mouth next was most definitely from the Holy Spirit.  Because it was pretty awesome.  Whenever something awesome comes out of my mouth, it's because I have no idea what to say and the Holy Spirit steps in and speaks instead.

"Hey buddy.  God made us to grow and change.  He doesn't want you to stay three forever.  He made you to grow up.  He made you to turn four, and after that five, and six, and lots more!  He's going to keep teaching you new things as you grow up, so it's so awesome that you get to be four tomorrow!  And how about this, tomorrow mommy or daddy will help you use a real hammer!"

Okay, so the hammer thing was from me again.  But I'm so glad the Holy Spirit stepped in and spoke when it did.  Seriously.  That little message was for me just as much as it was for Jack.

God made us to grow and change.  It's obvious for kids.  They get bigger and learn things and develop new skills from year to year.  But as adults it's easy to forget to keep learning.  Keep growing.  Keep changing.  It's easy to think, "Well this is just the way I am."  Maybe it is.  Or maybe it's something that's keeping us from living out who God created us to be.  Who He is continually creating us to be.

This week I've been thinking a lot about my goals for 2014.  Probably sometime tomorrow or next week I'll write them down in my journal and on my bathroom mirror.  Goals of where I feel like God is leading me as a wife, mother, friend, employee, and child of Him.  I've been praying that He will point out some things that He wants me to consciously work on.  Things that will help me continue to grow and change this year.  Because I'm not done.  Not even close.  He is working on me and I can't wait to see what He will teach me in 2014.  And beyond.

We can try to stay three forever.  But it's so much better to turn four.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment