Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cups

If any of you have spent any amount of time with me in the last 6 months, you've probably seen my Starbucks cup.  It's a huge, plastic cup that holds lots of water.  And helps me drink lots of water.  I love it.  It's almost always with me.  Kinda like a security blanket.

I've actually had a few not-so-friendly comments about the cup.  Apparently people think it's excessive.  Comments like "Who would pay $17 for a cup?"  And "Why do you need such a fancy cup?  Can't you just use a regular cup?"  These comments have just made me more fond of it.  Having to defend something makes you love it even more.  (In my cup's defense, it really does help me drink more water, which makes me healthier.  The lid helps me not spill.  And I'm sure I've saved much more than $17 by not purchasing bottles of water.)

Anyway, I was really attached to this cup.  Probably a little too much.  Which makes the following story so, so sad.

Today was a VERY busy day.  Jack was at two different babysitters while I worked, ran errands, and went to band practice.

I took my cup to work with me this morning.  When we got home around 5:00, I took it out of the cupholder in my car, along with our "I Make The Dupont Difference" travel coffee mug.  I set them both on the bumper of our Pathfinder while I took Jack out of the car.

You can see where this is going.

We went inside and I got my stuff ready for practice, got Jack's stuff ready to go to his aunt and uncle's for the evening, and grabbed some quick dinner.  As soon as my sister-in-law pulled out of the driveway with Jack, I thought, "I should fill up my cup for practice tonight.  But where is it?"  I looked EVERYWHERE in the house, even checked the cupholder in the car.  But of course, not the bumper.  Finally, since I was already running late, I just grabbed a bottle of water and decided to look for the cup later.

I backed out of the driveway and as I backed into the cul-de-sac, I heard a "crunch" under my car.  But I was in a hurry, and it was dark, and I could tell it was a very small crunch, so I decided to just keep going.  I had no idea.

Jack and I finally got home at 10:00.  As I pulled into our cul-de-sac, my headlights hit something blue in the street.  I realized it was the Dupont Difference coffee mug.  Crushed.  And then I realized what else that meant.  My Starbucks cup!  Yep.  Smashed to smitherines in the street.  By my own doing.

After I put Jack to bed, I went out and picked up the pieces of my beverage containers.  It was a little bit sad.  Okay, a lot sad.  I may or may not have gotten a little misty.

Pregnancy brain strikes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment