Wednesday, March 6, 2013

New Every Morning

Being a parent has taught me so much more about how God loves us.  Except He is a perfect parent (I am not).  And He is so much more than a parent (I am not).  But He's using this experience of raising my kids to teach me a little smidgen of how He feels about us.  Take yesterday for example...

Jack was a BEAST yesterday.  The morning was deceptively okay.  Then we had his first swim lesson at the Y.  Oh. My. Word.  He screamed throughout the whole swim lesson.  (Which was extra frustrating because he normally LOVES swimming.)  I made him stay and do everything with his teacher.  He did almost everything.  He just was crying/screaming/flailing while he did it.  So embarrassing.  Then he started to gag as if he was going to throw up (that happens a lot) so I made him get out of the pool.  I made him apologize to his teacher.  Which came out, "I'm saaaaaaaooooowwwwwwwwwyyyyyyyy!"  

Then he asked me if he would get a cake pop (his reward if he had a good attitude at swim class).  I told him absolutely not.  More crying.  

Then we went to the family locker room to get dressed.  He did NOT want to get dressed.  I literally wrestled him on the locker room floor (gross) for 20 minutes trying to get him dressed.  Got underwear and one sock on.  Then he had to pee.  But refused to use that toilet, he wanted a different toilet.  Finally I sat him on a bench and stepped out in the hallway for a time-out.  For him and for me.  

After a couple minutes he finally calmed down and conceded to get dressed and pee.  We picked up his sister and headed home.  He fell asleep on the way home and I thought, "YES! Nap time!"  No.  He woke up the second I laid him down in his bed.  So we ate lunch instead.  During which he punched the dog in the face.  Time-out.  Apologize to the dog.  Then he kicked the dog in the face.  Time-out.  Apologize to the dog. 

Then we tried nap time again.  I said, "When you wake up, Daddy will be home."  So 15 minutes later when Jack heard the garage door go up, he said, "Daddy's home, so nap time is over!" Um....not quite what I meant.  But okay I guess.  Sure, run around in just your pull-up.  It's not cold out or anything.  

Then while I was making dinner, Jack was watching a show on the iPad, plugged into the wall in the living room.  I noticed he had taken his pull-up off and was now completely naked.  I asked him why he took it off and he said, "I peed in it.  And I peed right there on the carpet."  

Excuse me?  You peed on the carpet?  Time-out.  And iPad privileges taken away.  Are you kidding me?  You really peed on the carpet?  

Thankfully the husband took care of the pee mess.  Did I ever tell you thank you?  Thanks Dustin.  

By 5:30 I couldn't wait for the day to be over.  I wasn't mad or upset or anything.  Just exhausted.  And I was ready to start a new day.  Then the phrase, "His mercies are new every morning" popped into my head.  That means tomorrow is a new, fresh day!  I was definitely going to have new mercies for my son in the morning.  He's my kid, and I love him not matter what.  Exhausted or not.  I couldn't wait for a new day so we could try again.  

Just like God has new mercies for us.  How often do we have a "scream for an hour at the Y, punch the dog in the face, pee on the carpet" kind of day, or week, or month, or year?  I know I've had seasons where I've acted that way.  I still have times that I act that way.  And He has renewed mercy for me.  Always.  

Thank God.  








No comments:

Post a Comment